UMALCA Prize 2009
UMALCA-Mathematical Union for Latin America and the Caribbean is happy to inform that the Scientific Committee of the 3rd Latin American Congress of Mathematicians awarded the UMALCA Prize 2009 to the following young mathematicians:
- Alejandro Maass (Universidad de Chile, Chile)
- Carlos Gustavo Moreira (IMPA, Brazil)
- Federico Rodriguez Hertz (Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay)
The Prize includes a diploma, the invitation to give a plenary lecture at the Congress, and a monetary incentive equivalent to US$2,500.
The Scientific Committee also decided to award Special Mentions to:
Both will receive a diploma, and an invitation to give a plenary lecture at the Congress.
The Scientific Committee of the Latin American Congress of Mathematicians was formed by:
Alejandro Adem (Canada), Rafael Benguria (Chile), Luis Caffarelli (USA), Carlos Cabrelli (Argentina), Ivar Ekeland (Canada), Patricio Felmer (Chile), Etienne Ghys (France), José Antonio de la Peña (Mexico), Jose Seade (Mexico), Marcio G. Soares (Brazil), Marcelo Viana (Brazil), Gunther Uhlmann (USA), and Mario Wschebor (Uruguay).
The UMALCA Prize 2009 is sponsored by generous donations from:
- Centro de Modelamiento Matemático (CMM - Chile),
- Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONACYT-Mexico),
- Instituto de Matematica Pura e Aplicada (IMPA-Brazil),
- Union Matemática Argentina (UMA - Argentina).
The Prize Ceremony will be held at the Matucana 100 Center, Santiago de Chile, on August 31, 2009, the first day of the Congress. For more information on the UMALCA Prize access
Servet Martinez Marcelo Viana
President of UMALCA Chair of the Scientific Committee